Sunday, September 11, 2011

That's why

As a kid, my parents always made sure to "be there" for all my sports and activities.

It was always great to have them there, but I noticed they, especially my Mom, would always be looking at me whenever I happened to look their way.

I never understood why.

Sometimes being watched was unwanted, especially at, for instance, a high school dance in which they volunteered to chaperon.

Every time I would just start to get up some nerve to ask a girl to dance, I would look over and see my Mom smiling at me and then lose the nerve to follow through.

It wasn't until I became a parent that I was able to answer why I was always on their radar.

I do the same thing when my kids are in the midst of a sport or activity.

I just try to anticipate when they might look my way.

I'm then sure to divert my eyes.

I don't want my kids to feel like they are always under my constant line of vision.

As parents we have an excuse; we just can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment