Saturday, September 10, 2011

Re-programing at the fork

My 2 PM appointment was a "no-show."

The "no-show" arrived at 4:30 PM.

Even though the "no-show" actually allowed me to get back on time seeing my other appointments and walk-ins, I was still annoyed he arrived so late.

He declined to re-schedule when asked by my nurse.

He wanted to be seen.

Patient (when I abruptly walked into the exam room): Sorry I was late but my supervisor wouldn't let me leave on time.

Me: I understand but you could have called to re-schedule.

Patient: No, that's OK. I figured I'd just wait to see you since I had an appointment.

Me: You can ask for a later appointment time in the future if it would work out better for you.

Patient: Oh, I don't need to do that. The 2 o'clock appointment is fine.

Me: You came 2 and 1/2 hours after your appointment time.

Patient: I didn't mind waiting to see you since I had an appointment (he had been waiting an entire 14 minutes).

Me: I'll try to help with whatever acute needs you have then.

Patient: That's great, I have a bunch of things to discuss with you during this appointment...

He either had no idea where I was trying to go with my conversation or he was doing a great job of pretending not to know.

I was at the fork in the road.

Luckily, I opted for the appropriate, professional response instead of listening to the evil voice in my head.

Me: Sure thing, lets go over your concerns.

We reviewed his health concerns and had a long discussion on the emotional turmoil he was experiencing with his ex-wife.

I was able to offer some advice.

I'm glad I was able to re-program at the fork.

It turned out to be a great visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment