Lately, it seems that a lot of the younger men who come in for a physical exam have shaved all their pubic hair.
Initially, it sort of surprised me.
Now, I've sort of come to expect it.
Here's some potential reasons I've come across:
1. Religious reasons: all the male nudes on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel are hairless below the waist.
2. Aesthetic reasons: a cleaner, more contained aesthetic look is in vogue for pubic hair.
3. Cleanliness reasons: the crotch is a focal point for heat, sweat and bacteria.
4. Health reasons: to make sure you don't have a rash or other unwanted critters and to make testicular self exams easier (yep, most are also shaving their testicles as well).
5. Self esteem reasons: the penis will appear longer due to removing the hair that often goes at least part way up the shaft.
Although I suspect I know the main reason, from the list above, why many choose to shave, I think I'll just continue to be "old fashioned" concerning that aspect of my own body.