Thursday, May 31, 2012

Keep laughing

I had the pleasure of spending time with Mrs. R. recently, who's 91 years old and a widow for over 20 years.

She still lives alone but has home health assistance for 4 hours everyday.

Here are just a few of her one liners that made me laugh:

Does talking to your kids (her 54 year old twins) bring you joy? "No, not really, because they still always just want to borrow money (she laughs)."

That's a nice lazy boy chair you have over there (she was sitting in another much smaller recliner). "I call it my bobbie trap chair. Once you get in it, you can't get out. I tried it twice but haven't been in it for the last 7-8 years. Only my company sits in it now (she laughs)."

That's a nice picture of your daughter receiving a diploma up on the wall. "Thank you, I consider it one of my greatest accomplishments. She's deaf and I had to work like hell to make sure she got a normal high school diploma and not a special ed diploma. It's opened up so many doors for her over the years. I was a real pest but kept pestering the school principle and the school board members to the point that they all knew me by my first name and could recognize my voice on the phone (she laughs)."

I know you have a hernia. "Yes I do...do you want to meet George? He was little George at first but has been big George for the last few years (she laughs)."

You seem to have a great sense of humor. "You know I lost it for awhile, but got it back. Things weren't too pleasant for many years of my marriage. My husband smoked and drank too much. We always had an extra bedroom in our home and it got used a lot." Did you sleep there to get away from him? "No, whenever I would kick him out of our room, he would sleep there...I loved my bed too much to ever leave (she laughs again)."

No comments:

Post a Comment