Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Good till the last breath

Mr. K. is an 88 year old with advanced dementia.

His 83 year old wife is his caregiver.

She's in excellent health for her age.

They've been married for 41 years.

It's a second marriage for both.

She's completely devoted to him and wants him to spend his remaining time, with her, at their home.

She would never dream of or consider nursing home placement (many friends and family have advised her of such).

The things she does for him are amazing. She's amazing. I told her so. I remarked that I didn't know how she did it.

She said, "when you've been married before and been mistreated, and finally end up with a good man, you cherish every moment together. I wouldn't have it any other way. He's just a good man."

I sure hope my wife will be able to say the same about me in my later years...the being a good man part!

No comments:

Post a Comment