Thursday, May 17, 2012

Please, pretty please...let me stay home!

I went to a 34-bed Assisted Living Facility (ALF) today to see a patient.

It was clean and the staff were friendly but I had such an odd feeling driving back to the office.

All the patients there were elderly and all looked fairly "lost."

All, during the window of time I was there, were calm and sitting quietly by themselves, watching TV or napping.

While I know many are demented and/or have some other underlying reason for being there (behavioral outbursts, day-night reversal (sun-downing), incontinence, etc.) I just couldn't help but think that many, if not most, also have a family member, somewhere, with a spare bedroom.

It sort of gave me the "heebie-jeebies" and one additional thought: "I DON'T want to end up in a long term care facility when I'm nearing the end of my life on earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment