Wednesday, March 13, 2013

White bread

I've lived in the same town for many years and know a lot of health care professionals in the area.

A new patient, a 92 year old male, had previously seen one such acquaintance.

I had obtained some old medical records and asked the patient, "I see you've seen Dr.---- previously."

The patient smirked.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked.

"No reason, I remember Dr. ---- well. He's what I would describe as a slice of white bread."

"A slice of white bread? What do you mean?"

"You know, just a plain slice of white bread...no ham and cheese, no peanut butter and jelly...just plain...dull, you know?"

I smiled and let him know I appreciated his honesty and asked for him to let me know if he ever came up with a nickname for me.

He laughed.

I chuckled inwardly as well.

His description of the other doctor was right on the money...or should I say the slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment