Saturday, March 16, 2013

300 pounds ago...

Mr. M. is 60 years old.

He played baseball in college, was a medic in the military, once fought Chuck Norris in a martial arts contest, and went on to become a nurse while also earning his Masters and PhD in Written Communication.

He still writes children's books.

I saw tears welling up in his eyes.

"Are you alright?" I asked, "you sure have done some amazing things in your life to date."

"You're the first doctor, in about twenty years, who has asked me about what I did when I was younger, and thinner. People, even health care professionals, look at me and assume I've always been this way. I haven't been and I just appreciate being able to reminisce."

He now weighs over 500 pounds.

He understands that it's a crucial time to get his life back.

I'm hoping the few minutes we spent reviewing his thin life will allow us to continue to work as a team to accomplish just that goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment