Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Should I try to be Facebook 'friends' with my teenagers?

If you Google "should parents be 'friends' with their kids on Facebook?" you will come across an assortment of opinions at different sites and discussion groups.

Folks make some great arguments for and against.

Obviously Facebook didn't exist when I was a teenager.

My kids are now 16 and 17 (going into 11th and 12th grade of high school), are great kids and do well in school.

They have some good friends and to date, pretty much across the board, have made excellent choices in life.

We have discussed what is and isn't appropriate for the Internet and we have made sure all possible security measures have been activated.

But, I have not asked to be their 'friend.'

My only reason is that honestly, when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have wanted to be 'friends' with my parents, if a social media existed at the time.

I had great parents and I was a good kid, but I still choose to not discuss all the details of my social life with my parents.

My kids have earned the same right so, for now, I'm not going to ask them.

Enough said, case closed.

I still reserve the right to re-visit the issue when they go off to college however-maybe I'll ask them to just let me look at the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment