Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DIAPERS ANYONE?

A drop down list, in the pharmacy menu, under the title "DIAPERS" exists for health care providers to order different styles of adult absorbent garments/briefs or depends for incontinence.

Most medical professionals have been trained to use alternative terms rather than diapers for the sake of an individuals dignity.

(The most common definition of diaper is an absorbent product worn by a BABY)

I asked why such a term was being used in the drop down menu.

A pharmacist informed me that a lot of hard work went into developing the drop down menu and that the term "DIAPERS" was felt to be the most inclusive given the assortment of styles and sizes to choose from.

I asked a simple question (via e-mail of course).

If/when you are in the latter stages of your life, living in a nursing home, cognitively intact but frail, and incontinent, which would you prefer?

A. For a nursing aid to SCREAM down a hall for a co-worker to "bring me ANOTHER DIAPER for (fill in your name)-he/she just soiled him/herself again!"

OR

B. For a nursing aid to SCREAM down a hall for a co-worker to "bring me ANOTHER BRIEF for (fill in your name)-he/she just soiled him/herself again!"

(Even though I would prefer no SCREAMING whatsoever, I'd have to go for choice B every time)

I haven't heard anything back yet from the pharmacist.

I came across a statement I like from the Health Guide (By Jasmine Schmidt): using an alternative term to diapers is "an important step towards helping the public to perceive incontinence as a medical condition that should be treated with dignity and respect, just as you would with any other disability."

No comments:

Post a Comment