Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Quite a character

Mr. W. died last week.

He was 86 years old and had Alzheimer's disease.

His visits were always a lot of fun.

Despite having moderate to severe dementia, his social graces and long term memory were intact and he loved to re-tell stores of his years traveling around the globe, with his wife Rubie, while selling insurance for Lloyd's of London.

I had a long relationship with him so I was fortunate to reside in his long term memory.

He always let me know it was great to see his "favorite Irish doctor (since my last name is of Irish origins)."

He would then also always remind me that I was the only "Irish doctor" he had ever known-hence making it easy to be his favorite (he would always laugh).

I'll sure miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment