Thursday, January 5, 2012

Do as I say...

A 67 year old smokes 1-2 packs a day (ppd); usually closer to 2 ppd.

Obviously, I informed him that he should stop smoking and that I would be glad to assist in any way.

He proceeded to tell me a story.

Patient:  A few years ago I was in a car accident and had a big laceration on my forehead. My shirt was bloody and the ER folks cut it off. The nurse saw I had cigarettes in my top pocket and scolded me for smoking and said I should quit. The doctor chimed in as well. When I was walking to my car, after the laceration was repaired, I saw the same nurse and doctor outside smoking. I just nodded my head and thanked them for everything. I think they were embarrassed I saw them. I never got my pack back from the shirt they cut off. I've always wondered if they were smoking my cigarettes (he laughs).

No comments:

Post a Comment