Monday, September 24, 2012

Just one of many

My son had a club soccer game this past weekend.

I know one of the Dad's from past club teams as well as from our sons playing on the same high school team for the last couple of years as well.

"Is your son looking forward to the high school season?" I asked, knowing our boys are now seniors.

"Justin isn't sure he is going to play this year," said the Dad, "He's got a part-time job and I think he might use it as as excuse to not play this year. He hasn't really wanted to play soccer since the 8th grade but his Mother and I would never let him quit."

"Oh, that's understandable," was all I could of saying at the time.

Afterwards, I thought a lot about what he said.

It just seems so odd or such a foreign idea to me to make your kids do something they don't want to do when it comes to extracurricular activities.

It's got to be hard for a teenager to figure out what his/her passion might be if/when you are being forced to do something you really don't want to do for years.

Actually, it's sort of sad.

Even sadder is that there are probably quite a few Justin's out there, all stuck in the same predicament.

No comments:

Post a Comment