Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's Elementary

I ran into Jim, a friend, last night.

He and his wife had recently dropped their 18 y/o son off at college and were about 4 hours into their 8 hour drive back home.

Their son called his wife's cell phone.

He left a message before she was able to answer it.

"I've made a mistake, I don't want to go to college here. I feel sick, nauseous. Please come back and pick me up. I want to come home and go to college locally."

"What should we do? " asked his wife.

"Turn off your phone," said Jim.

They drove the rest of the way home in silence.

Jim has been an Elementary School Teacher for over twenty years. He's well versed in dealing with separation anxiety.

Their son called back about a week later. They saw it was him and answered.

"Thanks for not coming back to pick me up," he said, "I think I'm really going to be happy here."

I'm sure Jim and his wife had their best night of sleep in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment