Thursday, December 8, 2011

Infomercial influence

I met Mr. A. and his wife recently.

He's a 74 year old male who had a stroke years ago and has right sided weakness and a very unsteady gait.

His wife is also fairly frail.

As we talked I couldn't help but notice many exercise products I had briefly seen on infomercials while scanning through channels on my TV at home over the years.

There was also a large unopened box up against the wall.

I asked about it.

The wife let me know it was "The Total Gym" (that Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley promote on TV).

They were waiting for their daughter to come help set it up for them.

We had a long discussion.

I let them know I would have a therapist come to their home as soon as possible to help devise a home exercise program.

I was certain, from knowing how "The Total Gym" worked, that they would not be able to obtain any meaningful benefit from it.

They asked if I would write a letter for them to help get a refund. I let them know I would.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do the same for the 5-6 other opened, unused, "as seen on TV"  items scattered about the room (all of which I'm sure had "simple" payment plans).

I suspect a lot of other elderly folks have many of these same items.

No comments:

Post a Comment