Sunday, November 6, 2011

Usually don't forget after a reminder

Many urinalyses show microscopic blood.

When I inquire, most folks tell me they just peed into the sample cup.

All are given a towelette (to clean) and instructions (collect a mid stream sample) but most report:

1. The person in the lab said something but I wasn't really listening

2. I wasn't sure I would be able to pee and wanted to make sure I had enough for a sample

3. Oh, now I remember. I forgot. I thought the towelette was to clean my hands after peeing. I do sort of remember being told to use it to clean down there

4. Etc., Etc.

I then always offer, when the urine sample was not properly collected, to repeat the sample.

I let folks know that I would love to spend the rest of my life without having to have a cystoscopy (a fiber optic scope is put up the urethra into the bladder), if possible, and that part of the work-up for microscopic blood is to have a cystoscopy.

Both, especially men for some reason, don't seem to forget the proper instructions for future collections when informed of this possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment