Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Supermans younger brother

Mr. R. is an incredible specimen.

He is 88 years young, runs, lifts weights, works part time at a health club and is a volunteer track and field official for high school and college meets.

I saw him the other day.

Me: Have you been up to anything new lately?

Patient: No, my younger brother was just here from New York for a visit. It was pretty sad. I hadn't seen him for about two years and he's really let himself go. I told him so.

Me: What's going on?

Patient: I don't really know. He doesn't really give me details on his medical problems but he has terrible teeth, has trouble with his eyes, macular degeneration I think, walks with a walker and wears Depends.

Me: How old is he?

Patient: He's 83, 5 years younger than me.

Me: Well, you probably just need to give him a break. You're in amazing health for someone 88 years old and I know you're very thankful for your health. The description of your brother describes most of the 83 year old patients I see here everyday. You're a tough act to follow.

He nodded but I don't think he agreed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment