Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A great start to a day in the office

An 82 y/o male was born on September 5th.

He just so happened to have the first appointment of the day with me on a September 5th.

I noticed his date of birth just prior to going in to the exam room to see him.

I grabbed a small candy bar from our secret stash and gave it to him.

Me: Happy birthday! I'm sorry I wasn't able to put a candle in the candy bar.

Patient: Thanks. You know some years my birthday falls on Labor Day...of course it was labor day regardless for my mother in the year I was born!

He then laughed almost uncontrollably for a few seconds and I smiled with him.

It was a great way to start the day.

Later, I couldn't help but think how wonderful it was for him to have this life long joke that still gave him a bout of laughter every time he got the opportunity to tell it to someone new.

No comments:

Post a Comment