Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gotta laugh!

A 63 y/o male has advanced Parkinson's Plus Syndrome.

He has significant rigidity, immobility, falls frequently and has not responded to most medications.

His daughter (his caregiver) came with him to the appointment.

It was a fairly sad encounter as they were recalling the most recent visit to a well known neurologist, an expert in neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson's.

I hadn't received the consult note back yet.

The patient was teary eyed when he let me know the neurologist said there was "nutin more he could do."

After a brief pause, I responded (I couldn't stop myself), "he really said that?"

"Yes."

"He said nutin...n-u-t-i-n?"

Thankfully, all of us were then able to enjoy a good laugh.

Laughter is still the best medicine for patients, caregivers and the doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment