Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A timely public health reminder in a nice color

A 52 y/o male came in for a new patient appointment. He was wearing a bright blue rubber bracelet on his wrist that had the statement "Colon Cancer Screening Saves Lives." I read it while I was checking his pulse.


Me: Colon cancer screening saves lives.

Patient: I'm sorry, what?

Me: Colon cancer screening saves lives.

Patient: Oh, colon cancer screening saves lives?

Me: Yes, just like your bracelet says.

Patient: Oh (now looking down at his wrist), that's cool. I've actually never really paid any attention to what was written on it. I've just always liked the color. Someone gave it to me a couple of years ago.

We then talked about a screening colonoscopy since he never had one before.

He agreed to be referred for one.

Wow, that bracelet worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment