Monday, March 5, 2012

A Silver Alert temptation

While out driving on the Interstate recently, I saw automated signs, every few miles, announcing a Silver Alert. The make of the car, the license plate number and a *three digit number to call was listed.

A Florida Silver Alert was enacted in 2008, which allows the immediate broadcast of information to the public regarding missing senior citizens with dementia, Alzheimer's, or other cognitive impairment. The purpose is to allow a coordinated response between local and state law enforcement to quickly broadcast important information to citizens so they can assist law enforcement in the rescue of the endangered person and/or notify law enforcement with helpful information.

I've already got silver hair so hopefully if/when I get advanced dementia, I'll never get access to the car keys to cause such an alert. On the other hand, if my capture was televised, it could possibly be my 15 minutes of fame...even if I wouldn't remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment