Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Measurements coming and going?

A wonderful co-worker just gave birth to her first child, a daughter.

Of course, an e-mail went out announcing the birth, followed by, as usual, the measurements:

6 pounds, 1 ounce, and 19 inches long.

Why is this information always included with a birth announcement?

Shouldn't or couldn't we just say "a healthy girl was born!"

As a medical professional, I know that the average full term newborn is between 6 pounds, 2 ounces and 9 pounds, 2 ounces, and is between 19-21 inches long, but does every one else know this?

Maybe this is where our fixation with body weight and size gets its start?

Statements such as the following almost always occur (after reading the measurements):

"My o my, what a heavy, tall (or a light/short or any other combination) baby!"

"Wow, I can't believe that such a large baby came out of her!"

It made me think...maybe we should include our measurements when we die.

Of course, statements such as the following might occur:

"My o my, what a heavy, tall (or a light/short or any other combination) person who died"

"Wow, I can't believe that such a large body went into the coffin"

No comments:

Post a Comment