Tuesday, July 24, 2012

No pain for me

There are many things a physician should never say to a patient.

"This won't hurt at all," is one such statement.

Many physicians seem to overestimate their ability at performing certain procedures painlessly. The fact is, many procedures do hurt, at least a little. I can easily attest to that. I even find having my blood drawn to be objectionable at times.

The recommended terms to use are "this could be a little uncomfortable" or "this will hurt some, but it'll be over before you know it."

I still laugh about a former orthopedic colleague. He would always inform patients that the office procedure he was about to perform "won't hurt me a bit, so don't worry."

It served as a good tension relief, for the few patients who got it, when they could laugh together.

No comments:

Post a Comment