Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy tears

Mr. G (name changed). is 87 years old and has advanced dementia.

I saw him recently for a medical evaluation.

His wife is his devoted caregiver and showed me all the many picture Christmas cards of their children and extended families.

They have a beautiful family.

Mrs. G. wanted me to know more about this man who now has great difficulty communicating.

"I married my first husband at age 16 and we had 4 children. He died unexpectedly from a brain hemorrhage. I didn't know what I would do. Rob was a college professor. We fell in love and got married two years later. The kids were all still so young. We've been married for 54 years and he's been a wonderful father. We had a family celebration at our 40th wedding anniversary and everyone wanted us to give a speech. Rob's was short. He wanted to thank two people: my mother for giving birth to me and my first husband for being the biological father of his 4 amazing children. There was not a dry eye in the room that day."

There was still not a dry eye in our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment