Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sicker than I thought?

"I'm going to need to have some labs drawn when possible," I mentioned to the nurse as I was about to leave the patient's home.

"Are you a heart stick?" I heard the nurse, who was of Caribbean descent (and still had an accent), ask the patient.

I stopped at the door.

"What, I don't understand," said the patient.

"Has anyone ever told you that you were a heart stick?" the nurse repeated.

"I don't think I've ever had a heart stick," said the patient.

Finally, I interrupted,"She wants to know if you are a hard stick, h-a-r-d...if it's ever been hard to draw your blood in the past."

"Oh...I don't think so. Thanks for clarifying. I was a little worried there for a moment that I might be sicker than I thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment