Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Their song

Nearing the end of my visit I had concluded that 83 year-old Mr. E. and 75 year-old Mrs. E had a very poor quality of life.

I didn't verbalize my thoughts.

He's been bed-bound and poorly responsive for a couple of years, after a series of devastating strokes, and she's been his devoted caregiver 24/7.

He spends his days in a hospital bed.

She sleeps in a single bed in the same room in case he needs anything during the night.

Their bedroom was filled with his medications, creams, diapers, and pads.

"Can I show you something?" she asks.

"Of course."

"Honey, honey (she says as she gently shakes her husbands shoulders until he opens his eyes), I love you..."

"A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck," says Mr. E., as clear as day.

"Why are you the luckiest man in the world?" she then asks him.

"Because I'm married to you," he says with a slight grin.

Mrs. E. smiles as she strokes his hair while he closes his eyes and drifts back off to sleep.

"That was really great," I say, " thank you."

"Oh it's just something we've done since we were married," she says.

They recently celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary.

It was also another excellent reminder for me to not be so quick to judge a persons quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment