Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A room with family?

Mr. W. is an 85 year-old man who lives in an assisted living facility (ALF).

He has severe dementia but it hasn't stopped him from talking.

His social graces are intact and he gets a sparkle in his eye when being engaged in conversation.

He has errors of commission-he answers a question with an answer that has nothing to do with the question that was asked.

"How are you doing today?" I ask.

"You bet I do. Back when I owned a bar in Hartford Connecticut I pretty much did everything so that's why I have 21 shirts now, all different colors for when I worked for the post office and my wife was having an affair and I only get one egg and a piece of toast."

"Are you happy with the food here?" I then ask.

"Not as well as I used too 'cause I've got one bad ear and I like to walk as much as I can and I had a good bowel movement today and I wish we had a television in our room."

This went on for awhile.

"You have a great day!" I say while shaking his hand preparing to leave.

 "Are you going to take me with you?" he inquires.

"You have a great day also," I respond with my own error of commission.

He had a big smile on his face when I left.

I was sort of bummed on my way back to the office again trying to contemplate why he doesn't have a family member, somewhere, who would open up their home to him.

I think of this frequently whenever I leave an ALF.

No comments:

Post a Comment