Thursday, November 28, 2013

Heartache>toothache

I’ve go a lot of crowding of my teeth.

I still have all 32 teeth and intermittently have trouble with infected gingival pockets.

I’m in the midst of a recent flare-up and was feeling sorry for myself.

Today I saw a 30 year-old man in his home who has an inoperable brain tumor. He was diagnosed 4 years ago.

He’s blind in his right eye, cannot hear in his right ear, has a tracheostomy, uses a ventilator when napping/sleeping because he stops breathing when he sleeps, has significant let sided weakness and is fed through a feeding tube.

His parents and a sister are his caregivers.

He has custody of his 7 year-old son.

He’s responsive, respectfully communicates and wishes to do everything possible to remain alive.

He is certain that his ex-wife will do everything possible to get custody of his son after he dies.

My tooth wasn’t troubling me on my drive back to the office and I am no longer feeling sorry for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment