Thursday, June 18, 2015

An upstanding man

One of the major complications from hip replacement surgery is the risk for dislocations with certain movements.

The risk is greater in revisions than it is for initial total hip replacements. A usual statistic quoted is 10%, but some other studies have shown a risk up to 25%.

One of the main discharge instructions after the surgery sounds easy enough: Do not bend at the waist greater then 90 degrees for the next 6 weeks.

It's just that you forget how much of what you do on a day to day basis depends on doing just that.

For the time being, a "reacher (a tool purchased at a medical supply store)" has become another close friend.

I'm getting pretty good with it. My wife laughed today when I let her know I was able to pick up a single Q-tip from a bottom drawer in a cabinet and that it only took me about 8 minutes to put on my underwear this morning.

Progress!

1 comment: