Friday, July 22, 2011

Moving to Florida

I've practiced in central Florida since 1993.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've heard (usually from an elderly person with many functional impairments and health concerns), "My doctor up north told me I needed to move to Florida (pronounced flor-e-da by many north easterners) to improve my health."

I love Florida and I'm not a fan of the cold and snow, but for some elderly folks I can't help but think:

1. Your doctor (up north) felt this heat and humidity would be good for your health?

2. Your doctor felt that our air quality (high pollen counts, wild fires, etc.) would be good for your health?

3. Your doctor felt that moving away from ALL your family members would be beneficial for your care?

Occasionally I think...

What would I use as a reason to "move back up north to improve your health?"

1. You could actually use the warm clothes you still own.

2. The cold weather might reduce swelling in certain parts of your body (could be true).

3. Being close to ALL your family members, that still live up north, might be beneficial to assist in your personal and health care needs (hopefully would be true for many).

and finally...

4. You could count on your long term memory to navigate routes and remember the names of people and places (from years ago), even when you have short term memory impairments!

No comments:

Post a Comment